- Sector and Positioning:
‘Playing with toys is one inalienable right of every child!’ This is the credo of Children Toy Foundation (CTF). The organization firmly believes that playing enhances a child’s emotional, intellectual and social development. CTF pioneered in launching a very unique concept in India - ‘Toy Library’
Toy Libraries function like regular libraries where children are encouraged to come and play different toy games which they can take back home and return after having their fill. Following its motto, CTF launched Mobile Toy Libraries encompassing 300+ games. Mobile toy libraries (self-designed and fabricated vans) visit select Municipal Schools daily and allows access to games to children of different grades. ‘Lend a Toy, Share a Joy’ has remained the motto across projects undertaken by CTF.
Recognizing the power of games in a child’s overall development, corporate giants like Godrej, Parle, Excel Crop, L&T among others came forward to propagate ‘toy library’ by either sponsoring these self-styled vans or by replicating its model under their individual corporate brands.
CTF has helped set up 292 (as on 31st March, 2013) toy game libraries across schools, orphanages, hospitals, jails and old age homes covering 11 states & 2 union territories. On an average approximately 200 children benefit from each library. CTF has also shared the know-how and has guided in launching ‘Toy Library’ concept in the US and other foreign countries.
- Financial Parameters:
- Total income doubled from FY11 to Rs1.7mn in FY12; receiving the highest proportion in the form of Grants, followed by Individual Donations
- Significant rise in income was generated from Sales and Sponsorship (20% of total income in FY12 v/s 3% in FY11). Revenue generated by guiding corporate, schools, orphanages to set up a toy library is classified under Sales & Sponsorship
- CTF recorded an uptrend in donations from foreign sources which contributed 14% in FY12 as against only 2% and 1% in FY11 and FY10 respectively; indicating growing acceptance by foreign donors in CTF’s credo
- Management’s efforts to control its operating cost is evident from its overhead expenses i.e. steady around 11% of total expenses for the period FY10-FY12
- Trust Corpus stands at 43% of the Balance Sheet in FY12, which as a proportion is higher among the NGOs catering to children. NGOs listed with us in this space generally have recorded Trust Corpus of 30% in FY12. However, in absolute terms, CTF has a relatively smaller corpus fund of Rs3mn v/s sector average of Rs13mn in FY12
- Sustainability Parameters:
- Improving self-sufficiency ratio from 0.9x in FY10 to 1.3x in FY12 (Self-sufficiency ratio measures how much of expenses can be met from own income – individual donations/corpus income/fee income)
- Timely donations are received from committed donors (corporates and individuals, residents as well as non-residents)
- CTF is in the process of institutionalizing a new revenue model to support its expansion plans of reaching out to more children and launch variants to its current programmes
- Increasing awareness and desired recognition of toy library will attract more donors and institutions to replicate this model
- Major Challenges:
- Reluctance among society including Government bodies to accept ‘toy library’ as a concept that can add value to a child’s ability to think logically
- Lack of visibility; resulting in limited access to the donor community
- Human resource and funds constraints; limiting CTF’s scope to expand pan India
- Governance & Reporting Standards:
CTF has an active Advisory Committee comprising of enthusiastic professionals from all walks of life – doctors, child psychologists, social workers, businessmen and lawyers. The Board meets physically every quarter and is very particular about attendance of every member in the meeting. CTF is accredited by Credibility Alliance validating its satisfactory accountability, transparency and good governance standards.
For further details, please contact info@HelpYourNGO.com
Proprietary to HelpYourNGO
Disclaimer: Users should note that HelpYourNGO does not verify or endorse any of these projects and is not liable for any inaccuracies in the data presented. The data on the web site is merely for your information and any action taken based on the information on this website is at your own risk.