If you are concerned about the welfare of those in Chennai and would like to help, do consider the following NGOs:
- Goonj.. has extensive experience in relief work (we have recommended them for disaster relief efforts in Kashmir and Nepal earlier). Their first consignment left for Chennai on December 7th, and they are looking for material and financial support. You can see their exact requirements here
- ActionAid India is working with marginalising communities who are worst affected by the floods. Their relief operations are present in Chennai, Thiruvallur, Cuddalore and Tuticorin. You can donate Rs500 to buy a first-aid kit for a family, Rs1500 to provide rations for a family of four or any other amounts as specified on their website.
- Akshaya Patra Foundation has set up temporary operations to provide hot cooked meals to Chennai. They are aiming to cook 10,000 meals a day. You can support their feeding efforts here.
- El Shaddai Charitable Trust ran a centre for children that has been washed away in the floods. They are looking for financial support to buy provisions for those in need.
- Bharathamatha Family Welfare Foundation in Tamil Nadu is working with daily wage labourers, masons and domestic workers who have lost all their possesions in the rains. Donations of utensils, dresses for men and women, blankets and towels and sanitary items are urgently need. Do get in touch with Edaiyoor R.V. Manimaran at +91 9442221918 or +91 4369 295185